Materials are created automatically when importing an OBJ mesh file with an MTL file.
Prevent spaces in MTL file names. Otherwise, materials won't be imported.
If the mesh does not come with an MTL file, it will initially be displayed with the default mesh material. In this case, there are two ways to configure the display mode:
Customize the display of a single mesh
- Select the mesh from the Object List.
- In the Material Attributes, press + to create a new material.
- Next, you can:
- Load a texture file or choose a color from Diffuse.
- Apply smooth shading.
- Show mesh vertices.
- Display the wireframe, and set its thickness and its color.
- The Specular and Shininess are related to lighting.
Customize the display of a mesh group
- Launch the material editor from Windows > Editors > Material Editor.
- Create a new material from Create Material > Mesh Material.
- Double-click on the newly created material to rename it.
- Select the group containing your meshes and right-click to open a context menu. Choose the new mesh material under Assign Material.
- Then return to the Material Editor and configure the attributes of this material just like in the case above.